Indian historian Sanjay Subrahmanyam on February 10, 2019 received the prestigious Dan David Prize 2019 for his perform on inter-cultural encounters concerning Asians, Europeans and persons of North and South The usa in the course of the early contemporary period.
He won the Israel’s prestigious USD 1 million dollar award in the classification of ”Past Time Dimension” for his work in macro record. He shared the award in the Past class with Professor Kenneth Pomeranz of University of Chicago.
As soon as introduced with the award revenue, Subrahmanyam will donate 10 per cent of the prize funds towards scholarships for graduate or publish-graduate researchers.
Observe: The Dan David Prize laureates are expected to donate 10 p.c of their prize income in direction of scholarships for graduate or publish-graduate researchers in their respective fields to inspire and foster new generations of students.
About Sanjay Subrahmanyam
• Sanjay is the son of strategic analyst K Subrahmanyam and brother of former overseas secretary S Jaishankar.
• Subrahmanyam is an alumnus of University of Delhi and did his doctorate from Delhi College of Economics.
• He began as an financial historian but later on, labored on the political, mental and cultural heritage.
• He retains the Irving and Jean Stone Endowed Chair in Social Sciences at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), which he joined in 2004.
• He is the recipient of the Infosys Prize for humanities for his route-breaking contribution to background.
Other winners of Dan David Prize 2019
• This year’s winners were preferred from the three classes for their get the job done in macro background (Earlier), defending democracy (Current) and combating local climate improve (Future), respectively.
• The award in the “Current” category was won jointly by Reporters devoid of Borders and Professor Michael Ignatieff for “Defending Democracy”.
• The Reporters without the need of Borders is an organisation that functions for the flexibility of the Press. Michael Ignatieff is a Canadian creator, tutorial and former politician who headed Liberal Get together of Canada and was also the chief of the formal opposition for almost three decades.
• Christina Figueres, a Costa Rican diplomat was awarded the prize in the “long term” dimension for her job in combating local weather modify.
About Dan David Prize
• The Dan David Prize is awarded every year to these who have designed exceptional scientific, technological and humanistic achievements in fields symbolizing the earlier, current and foreseeable future of human accomplishment.
• This USD 1 million prize is endowed by the Dan David Basis, headquartered at Tel Aviv College, Israel.
• The prize was established by late Dan David, an global businessman and philanthropist who envisioned a task that would lengthen beyond classic academic categorisations.
• Three Dan David prizes are presented every single 12 months in the classes of Earlier, Existing and Potential to people all-around the entire world who have created exceptional contributions to humanity in the sciences.
• The recipients in the ‘Past’ classification are generally drawn from the industry of historical past, archaeology, paleontology, biography, and many others.
• The recipients in the ‘Present’ group are drawn from arts, media, plan, economics, and so on.
• The recipients in the ‘Future’ group are drawn from just one of the correct or purely natural sciences.
• Some of the prior recipients of the award contain former US Vice President Al Gore, former British Premier Tony Blair, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, novelist Margaret Atwood, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales and filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen.
• Other distinguished Indian laureates of the Dan David Prize have been creator Amitav Ghosh, music conductor Zubin Mehta, renowned chemist CNR Rao and astronomy professor Shrinivas Kulkarni.